Ukulele Blogs!

Posted in: EDCI306A, Music 306 | 0

I went into this musical inquiry project overwhelmed with the idea of learning an instrument. I thought in music class we would all learn together how to play an instrument so self-teaching seemed stressful. Since the first time I picked up my ukulele however, I have barely put it down. Whenever I get anxious or am not in the mood to do a reading or finish an assignment I pick up my ukulele and learn a new song. It helps ease the overwhelming wave because I feel like I am taking a break but I am also still doing homework and having fun. I have picked up all the chords I initially wanted to learn and a few more to supplement the songs I have been learning. I can for the most part comfortably switch between chords and I am getting the hang of different strumming patterns.

The first song I decided to learn is my rendition of “Riptide” by Vance Joy. I have been practicing for about a week now and although the chords are not hard it has been a struggle to get the strumming pattern. Once I became more comfortable with the strumming pattern learning how to sing on top of this was hard because the beats are a bit different. Although, I have been practicing pretty hard and I am proud of what I have so far.

I hope you enjoy my first little update about how my ukulele is going and you enjoy the song 🙂