What the Uke?!

I can officially say that I love playing the ukulele. I have been in a slight rut artistically. I used to love to draw and I was dancing 40 hours a week, in musical theatre and private vocal lessons so music was all around me. My first year in university though music was mainly reserved for my earbuds on long walks or to dance to at a party. Being able to reintroduce music into my life and teach myself how to play an instrument has been a highlight of my day each and every day.

This week I taught myself how to play three songs on the ukulele one is in my planned song and the other two were more for fun than anything else. I started by learning the song 7 days by Alessia Cara which proved hard to find ukulele chords to. I used a new website where I could follow along with my strumming to the actual song of her singing which helped in the learning process. I also learned a new chord which was D7. Next, my boyfriend asked if I could learn Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen which I happily obliged. I learned it super quick and because of the slow pace and easy strumming pattern, I was able to pick up singing along with it as well. Lastly, I learned how to play I Can’t Help Falling In Love With You by Elvis Presley which again was easy to pick up how to sing and play. Both songs put me in a happy mood and let me express myself through my new found ukulele skills as well as bringing me back to my roots of singing. This week was an overwhelming week personally and so to be able to be productive by doing homework but that homework also allowing me to stress reduce and have fun was very ideal. It allowed me to be productive while also taking brain breaks from other types of work. I think a ukulele is going to be on my Christmas list for sure this year!