Primary Vs. Intermediate Math Apps

Most math apps when you read the description describe themselves as apps for elementary or k-12 students.  I found this very surprising as this is a very wide age range to cater to and students during these years have dramatically different math needs.  Technology can be a very useful tool in math classes of all different ages however these tools can only be effective if they are used with appropriate age groups.  Math apps that work really well in a grade two classroom would not be as effective in a grade five or six classrooms so this week I did some research on apps for primary versus apps for intermediate students.

After going through many lists of the so-called “best math apps” I found many were described for students within a ten year age range which I found confusing as the elements needed in an app to engage students of those ages are very different.  When viewing previews of these apps I found that the graphics were frequently what I would describe as too overwhelming for the younger end of the age group while also being a bit childish for the older end of the age group. After seeing these I tried to see if I could find some apps that were more geared toward specific age groups.  One of the first apps I found was DragonBox, an app developed by WeWantToKnow. This company has released two math-focused apps under the DragonBox name, Algebra 5+ for students between the ages of 5 and 8 as well as Algebra 12+ for students 9 years old and above. These apps have similar graphics and concepts, however, Algebra 5+ has simpler problems and some design choices geared toward their younger age group.  Together they cover both the primary and intermediate age group making them in my opinion better suited to learning than the apps catered to a wide age group. I really liked the overall concept and goal of these apps, the only downside for me was that Algebra 5+ is $4.99 and Algebra 12+ is $7.99 meaning they are costly for a whole school or class.

After examining DragonBox my next goal was to find some free apps that still had the age group divide of primary and intermediate.  The next app I discovered was Quick Math – Mental Arithmetic and its counterpart Quick Math Jr. These apps are both free on the App Store for IOS devices so while they are only available on some devices they are free to use.  Quick Math is an app for grades 3 to 6 that allows students to practice their addition, subtraction, multiplication and division skills while racing the clock and trying to beat their personal best. As it is free I tried it out for myself and found it engaging and motivating, this app would work particularly well with students who have a competitive nature.  Quick Math Jr, on the other hand, is an app designed for students up to grade 2 where students develop their understanding of numbers, counting, and basic math through games led by cute characters. Both apps offer varying levels where students can focus on different skills that get more difficult over time. I found Quick Math Jr just as educational and engaging as the original but much better suited to a younger age group.

Overall the biggest difference I found between primary and intermediate apps besides the obvious different math difficulties was graphics.  Apps that were designed for younger age groups usually had brighter colours and more cute characters leading the games and problems. Those that were catered toward an old age group were not as colourful as those for younger students and often lacked the fun characters that were central to the younger apps.  I personally don’t see this difference as a problem, however, as most students at an intermediate age are very focused on being “grown-up” meaning they may reject apps that use graphics more commonly used for younger students. By making apps for intermediate students less showy, we give them a sense that we see them as mature and old enough to not use “kid apps”.