Music for the Mind

This week I have been extremely stressed out as I have not only been stressing over assignments I am also moving houses! Playing the ukulele has been a small escape for my mind and has helped me escape from everyday life for a while. The other day I learned “Slow it Down” by the Lumineers which is a very soft, slow song and was relatively easy to learn. It followed the same chords I had already learned and used a slightly different strumming pattern of :

DD UU D

This means strumming down twice, up twice and then down again, you continue to repeat this throughout the chords. The actual chords are changed slowly and are quite easy however the strumming pattern can be a little more challenging. Because I have learned the song pretty easily I began to sing with it, although this can mess up the strumming pattern as well. Next, I decided to learn “Banana Pancakes” which is a little above my skill level so far. It uses picking as well as strumming patterns which is something I haven’t successfully done yet. I will keep working on this one and report back about how it goes! I just have one song left to learn from my musical growth plan, although I have tried playing it, I postponed it because it was a little above my skill set at the time. Again I will see how it goes this week!